Tuesday, May 31, 2011

2-2-2 Mac & Cheese



Easy Macaroni & Cheese

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 c milk
2+ c sharp cheddar cheese
2 c macaroni noodles

Directions:

1. Bring a medium size pot of water onto boil, and add in the pasta once the water has come to a rolling boil. Then you can add in the pasta and cook according to package direction and strain quickly.
2. Like I explained before with the Fettuccine Alfredo, you will make a roux out of butter and flour as a base for your cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Once the butter has melted slowly whisk in flour. I find it easiest to tilt the pot to one side so that the butter will be only on half of the pot.
3. Microwave the milk in a measuring cup until right before it starts to boil.
4. Then slowly pour the milk a couple tbsp at a time in to the roux, whisking very quickly so that the roux dissolves and does not clump up before add more milk. I suggest adding this size amount about 4 times before adding in the rest. You want the roux to be completely dissolved into the milk.
5. Bring up the milk mixed to medium high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes.
6. Now you can add in the cheese about 1/3 at a time and stir until melted. Once all of the cheese has been melted into the sauce, turn down the heat to low.
7. Now you can serve the mac & cheese. I suggest to make up each portion separately, and if you intend on saving some of it for later keep the pasta and sauce in two separate containers in the refrigerator and then combine before reheating slowly in the microwave.

Cheese Note:

  • I suggest not using Walmart or Kraft brand cheddar cheese for this application because it does not melt smoothly and becomes grainy (I know from experience). 
  • I also like to add a little more than 2 cups of cheese if I have it on hand because it makes the sauce's flavor more intense. 
  • Another thing I like to do, that some people would be appalled that I do, is I sometimes add 2 or 3 slices of American cheese slices when I add in the cheddar. We are so used to Mac & Cheese that has some added flavors other than just cheddar cheese and this adds another nice touch of cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment